How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15272
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We are having many issues with our landlord. O Assistant:

Customer Question

Hello, we are having many issues with our landlord. O
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: It's a commercial property
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: South London stockwell
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's regarding the lease, fraud and property that's not for for business
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. I spoke to a solicitor some time back and she told us our lease or contract had been drafted fraudulently and was not a legal document however it is all we have to go by2. Our landlord charged us approximately £68,000.00 in rates over a period of 8 years. Lambeth Council has confirmed that the property we tarde at does not pay rates.
3. The landlord only declared £5,000.00 rent to local council (lambeth) although we were paying approximately £24,000.00 per annum4. The roof of the building is in very poor condition. We have a surveyors report to say it must be fixed immediately. The landlord has no interest in doing so.5.We have withheld rent but started to pay as they promised to fix we asked them to give us a time frame for the works but nothing has been sent back
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe we have a good case and enough evidence to win but we haven't been able to find anyone who can help and give us straight answers. It's a complex case and it's like no one know what to do
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Ok. What do you want to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything you can do to help us ? Do you think it's a case we can win ? Can we get the money we paid in business rates back ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any other legal action we can take ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

This is a fraud by false representation. You can sue for whatever costs are misapplied, such as rates

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days of the letter of claim, or say you will go to Court within 30 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1

and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the claim would be for a lot more than £10,000.00We want to claim loss of business too due to the building being in very poor condition.Is this something you can help us with ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you can do that. But we can't act for you. I would suggest getting a public access Barrister to draft pleadings and represent you in Court.

You can find out at:

That should help you Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are looking for a lawyer solicitor or barrister to act on our behalf. Once we win the case we pay the fee
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

You mean a no win no fee. You can check to see if any Barristers at ClerksroomDirect will do that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Can I assist with anything else today?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.