How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1325
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I have a question regarding a law school and an appeal I

This answer was rated:

I have a question regarding a law school and an appeal I have submitted to the office of the independent adjudicators.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Buckingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have filed my complaint and responded to the university’s rebuttal. Currently waiting for their decision, however, this has taken an enormous weight on me and my family. I live in the US.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am a law student. I started 2-2019 but had a family emergency requiring that I return to the US. When I returned I had fallen behind on a module, I applied for a Plea of Mitigation so I could submit assignment late and sit for the final exam at the end of term 3. It was approved, however, the tutor and I disagreed on the date for submission, subsequently he failed me for the entire course. My circumstances are quite involved, I felt that the university had treated me very poorly and unfairly, I filed a complaint with the Office of the Independent Adjudicators. My complaint is in line to be heard. I have been placed on stop status, I could not pay my tuition if I would not be allowed to complete my program as originally indicated. I have two other classmates who have had similar situations and have been given discounts to continue their studies but when I asked for one I was told no. I would like to be able to continue with my program while I wait for a decision but I am on a T4 Visa and financially it is very difficult. The whole experience with the administration has been very hurtful. I had an accident of my own, I fell on the day of exams, I was taken by ambulance to the hospital with a concussion. Students first sent an email to the law school alerting them to my accident and my forthcoming absence. Students first filed a plea of mitigation on my behalf but the law school denied it, they said I had to re start the entire program. Is there anything that can be done so I can continue?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thank you

Not my area then.

I will opt out for others.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help, please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No thank you. Message is fine.

You can ignore the request for a phone call as it is automatically generated by the website.


Are you still looking for help with this matter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. You have taken the right pathway by going to the office of Independent adjudicators and I would hope that they will launch an investigation. There is not really much I can do to help you force this issue with the school but I sincerely do hope that it goes your way and you should to drop this until you get what you are looking for as it sounds as though have been treated at a detriment. What I can do is provide some advice about other aspects you have touched on here. Firstly, the fact that you are being treated differently from other students. If you feel that you are being treated different due to a protected characteristic such as race, age, sex, sexuality, religion, gender etc. Then it is very possible that you could have a case for discrimination however, this is something you would have to visit separately but it may have something to do with the reasons the decisions are being made by the school. Secondly, you stated that you were in an accident and you touched on the costs. If you have been involved an accident and you have lost money as a result then you can claim for costs if the accident was not your fault. For example, if the course is £10,000.00 per year and you lose this money due to being in an accident then you can make a claim for the sums lost against and insurance company (depending on the situation). If you feel that either of the above apply then you may wish to instruct a solicitor however, other than until you get to point that you have exhausted issues with the school you may not be able to move forward. However gather as much evidence as possible from the accident etc and from home and provide these to the OIA.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;


I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards




Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1325
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Ross Miller and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear Mr. Miller, I wanted to follow up with you since I have concluded my appeals process with the OIA. They said my claim was not justified, sadly. Second, I wanted to touch on your suggestion to try and recover the costs of my lost tuition since I was injured and not able to take my exams and therefore the university said I would need to restart my entire program. On the day of my exams I fell into the street and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital in Milton Keynes. The doctor there said I had a concussion. Because I am not from the UK I am unsure of what kind of attorney would be able to help me. I live in New York, I am in the US now. And finally I was wondering if somone else could take a look at what happened during my time at the University of Buckingha. I still think the manner in which I was treated was extremely unfair and the dealing of the OIA as well.
I look foward to your response.
Kind regards,
Monica Vega

Hi Monica. As this is out with the scope of the original question then I have offered additional Q&A time. Thank you.