plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I am a Foster Carer for Young man who has just turned 18 and

Customer Question

I am a Foster Carer for Young man who has just turned 18 and has learning difficulties and Autism. My council tell me that he is entitled to stay with me on a Staying Put agreement until he is 21. As far as I am aware the age for a young person with a disability who has been in care for many years and wants Staying Put is 25 not 21?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The child is a Lewisham Look After Child and he lives with me in the Borough of Bromley.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Many steps! I am at a total loss. The Fostering Team have tried to duck all responsibilities for putting this young man in a Disability team. They have promised for 4 years that his transition to CWD and then AWD was all in hand. They waited until a few weeks before his 18th and told me that they were not doing it and he would have to take staying put. I argued and threatened to get the lad a solicitor and they panicked and did a very hurried assessment, that came up with, yes he does meet the criteria but he should still take staying put. I wanted shared lives but they just said No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really, this fight for his rights has been on going.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you, thank you for your patience.

Please do bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

Can you give me the timeline for this last decision making process, and crucially when you were informed about the latest decision to go with staying put?

My understanding is that staying put can be extended beyond 21, and up to 25, but this is largely based on whether the young person is in full time study?