LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

Is it legal to only issue a tenancy renewal agreement by

is it legal to only issue a tenancy renewal agreement by email in the UK? Previous renewals have all been by post, no notice of this change was given.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: renewals have been sent by email, deadline is 31st October.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: they are allotment plots in Hersham Surrey. Not all plot holders use email
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

I will be assisting you.

It begs the obvious question, why are you issuing renewal agreements when all plot holders do not use email?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am a tenant. The landlord has issued the renewal notices not me. Several of the other tenants are of a generation not familiar with email but no doubt the landlord wants to save money. I want to know if it's legal for the landlord to work this way.
Thank you for your message.This would not be considered the correct way to renew a tenancy. The validity of the tenancy can be challenged as the agreement would not be signed.

A tenancy agreement is essentially a contract between you and the Landlord. In order for a contract to be valid it must satisfy the elements which make a contract. They are Offer, Acceptance, Consideration and Intention to create legal relations. If any one of these elements are missing, a contract is invalid.

Is there anything else I can assist with?

I am just following up if you require any further assistance?