How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75797
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was wondering if I can fill a restraining order on my

This answer was rated:

I was wondering if I can fill a restraining order on my sexual abuser 5 years after the court declared him guilty. This is because I am being pressured to see him again by family and I am still suffering from symptoms of trauma and triggers. Thank you
JA: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not that I know of, he tried to clear his name a few times (hes my step dad). But besides that I don't think so
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: he lives in France actually
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am currently 18 if that's of any importance

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you

If the conviction was 5 years ago then there is no capacity to apply for a restraining order now.

In any event, if he is in France there is no jurisdiction.

That would still not prevent family court applications for contact with children though.

You could apply to the civil courts but unless there is recent contact otherwise than through legitimate means like the family court, it wouldn't be granted.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am pressuming you are talking about abusive contact, then?

Contact for a non legitimate reason. Not necessarily abusive.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you