12826847

I have been in a situation where i was mentally unstable and

Customer Question

i have been in a situation where i was mentally unstable and ended up int he wrong crowd. i was forced to drive around without realising they were dealing. when i did they didnt let me back out. i didnt physically touh see or sell anything i was just told to drive. the police have chraged me as they have found videos of me driving on 12 occasions. i really need some advice as to what will happen. i have a court hearing in November.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: west yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: just got charged yesterday. they have bailed me out and said court hearing in november
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
according to your experience what would i get?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Is it Class A or B?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no i dont want tp call
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i cannot afford it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
class A DRUGS
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

I suppose they are saying this was street dealing?

Or are they saying it was greater than that? County line drugs for instance?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but i ddint know. i recently split up woth my partner and wasnt mentally stable. i met this guy and he became a friend. he asked me to drive around for him but i had no idea what he was doing? when i realised he wouldnt let me out and blackmailed me to do it.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
on the paperwork it just says possession and intent to supply
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

I am not going to be able to tell you what you face unless you can tell me how they put the case against you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how do you mean?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Well, I can't tell you what sentence you face unless you can tell me how they put this.

Either street dealing or county line drugs or what.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i got caught with them arrested and i told them everything as to how i was forced to drive. they investigated and searched my house. obvioulsy found nothing.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
im guessing it would come down as street dealing??
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but during the investigation they found videos of me just driving 12 times. not selling or anything just me as a driver
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

If this is a street dealing then it will fall into category three significant role on the guidelines which you can view here

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Drug-offences-definitive-guideline-Web.pdf

If this is a Class A matter then that would create a starting point of 4 ½ years and a range of 3 ½ to 7 years.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
even if i never knew what they were selling? or involved with them other than driving? do i still get prison?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
would they not look into my positon or circumstances?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

The fact that you were the driver not the actual seller is not a mitigating.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

People quite high up the chain never handle drugs.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

They will hear your personal mitigation and if you are saying that you were just a courier then you could plead on a basis which they may or may not accept.

But custody is inevitable. This is class A dealing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you for your help. i ended up with the wrong man at the wrong time without even knowing what he was doing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

If you didn't know then that is a defence to the charge though. You shouldn't be pleading.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I genuinely had no idea. We became good friends. More than friends and then he asked me to drive him around to places as he was banned. Which I never ask why? And when he would go out to meet a friend he would casually jus say meeting a friend. Let me drive some of his cars now and then and then we got stopped and arrested and he has class A drugs on him. Which I would have never stayed with him for a second if I knew.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

In that case, you should be pleading not guilty.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No worries. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Welcome.