Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My husband wishes to change our joint tenancy to a tenants

My husband wishes to change our joint tenancy to a tenants in common. What should I aware of when doing this. I understand the implications but will I still own 50% of the property. And can my husband do this without my agreement. He is getting our son to serve the notice tomorrow. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No we haven’t done anything we separated last week.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Southport
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi thank you for your message, with a tenancy in common the share each person has is specified. Therefore, your husband could say he gets 60% and you get 40%. As a consequence, you should make sure that the title is split equally. Your husband can’t do it without your consent or a court order.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.