How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3703
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My husband wishes to change our joint tenancy to a tenants

This answer was rated:

My husband wishes to change our joint tenancy to a tenants in common. What should I aware of when doing this. I understand the implications but will I still own 50% of the property. And can my husband do this without my agreement. He is getting our son to serve the notice tomorrow. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No we haven’t done anything we separated last week.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Southport
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi thank you for your message, with a tenancy in common the share each person has is specified. Therefore, your husband could say he gets 60% and you get 40%. As a consequence, you should make sure that the title is split equally. Your husband can’t do it without your consent or a court order.
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you