How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am signing an employment contratct with someone who is

Customer Question

I am signing an employment contratct with someone who is self-employed.Must I have to pay parts of the pension or she can pay all her pension by herself?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will continue to wait for the answer,thank you.
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,


please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.


Thank you.


Expert:  Ross Miller replied 4 months ago.

The answer here is simple, if they are self-employed then you are not liable, and should not pay any tax, NI or pension contributions for them. They are not an employee and therefore you are not liable for any of this. I hope this gives you clarity on the matter. If you need further information on you obligations to a self employed person then you can have look at the Acas website as there is lots of information there. However, the best way to think about it is imagine hiring an electrician, they do a job for you and you pay them for it based one their invoice. You wouldn't pay their tax or pension etc. I hope this has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards