Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am signing an employment contratct with someone who is

Customer Question

I am signing an employment contratct with someone who is self-employed.Must I have to pay parts of the pension or she can pay all her pension by herself?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 days ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will continue to wait for the answer,thank you.
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

The answer here is simple, if they are self-employed then you are not liable, and should not pay any tax, NI or pension contributions for them. They are not an employee and therefore you are not liable for any of this. I hope this gives you clarity on the matter. If you need further information on you obligations to a self employed person then you can have look at the Acas website as there is lots of information there. However, the best way to think about it is imagine hiring an electrician, they do a job for you and you pay them for it based one their invoice. You wouldn't pay their tax or pension etc. I hope this has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross