Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My brother bought a house last year with his girlfriend as

My brother bought a house last year with his girlfriend as joint owners, his dad passed away and left him with a pension payout which he used for the deposit, against my advice he wouldn’t sign a trust deed and now they have spit
Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Up
Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: staffordshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the death estate details from his father and the statements from the pension provider stating the amount they would be paying out
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He has paid out of his sole account the mortgage and insurances since the purchase as he earned the most money all she paid for was council tax and sky/telephone bill
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is she entitled to half the deposit ?

Hi thank you for your message, I am afraid because your brother made no steps to set out the division of the house then his former girlfriend would be entitled to half the value of the equity in the house once the mortgage is paid of if the property is sold which would include the deposit. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** so happens she took a personal loan out to pay off his car of 10k if she enforces the deposit split can he just say repay the loan yourself ?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Or can she also come for that money too

Hi thank you for your message, do they have an informal agreement for your brother to pay back the money and were they still together when she took out the loan?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She took it out while they were together and paid off his car loan, there is nothing in writing saying he would pay the monthly payments he just sends her the monthly payment through the bank

Hi thank you for your message, then yes he can just stop the payments. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh ok well at least there is 10k, also I heard there was a law protecting cohabitors but I can’t get the name right is it Toledo’s or something does that ring any bells, apparently it does something like based on her input on the monthly payments she would be entitled but at a much lower percentage is that correct ?

Hi thank you for your message, co-habitation situation you are referring to, would be where she was not on the title deed and therefore as not married would not be entitled to a share in the property ordinarily. In this case however, she is on the deeds. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Fantastic thank you for your help.