Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My daughter got suspended today. She did something and

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My daughter got suspended today. She did something and admitted her guilt. D do they still have a right to suspension
JA: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Haringey The college is in Enfield though
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: She spoke to the tutor and asked her questions
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Then I got the phone call from the college that she’s not allowed to come until investigation

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long has she worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She’s a student
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I prefer chat
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are you there Ben?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Helloooo

I am still here, there is no need to post responses every minute, I will reply to you

I am still waiting an answer to my query though, please see above

Do you mean she was suspended from the university, rather than a job?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
College rather then university

They can still proceed with the suspension even if she has admitted it. An admission does not close the case and make everything ok again. They have the right to still investigate to determine if everything they know up until now is sufficient or if there were other details which may need to be dealt with. Whilst the admission will likely shorten the process and any time on suspension, due to the fact they won’t need to go through as much investigation to get to the bottom of things, it does not mean the suspension ahs to stop with immediate effect and for her to be allowed to return as normal.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it does.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I ask you another question?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
While she is suspended does the college have a responsibility to ensure she has alternative education because she will be away for a while

How long do you think she will be suspended for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They said few weeks

You need to check the establishment’s policy on that but it is not an automatic legal right. Other places have arrangements where in order to mitigate the impact of the suspension on

the student’s studies they are allowed to request for occasional and limited access to services and facilities, such as appointments with key staff or to attend examinations. However, these are considered on an individual basis

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I see. And she’s scheduled to resit an exam in November, the suspension may go over this,will she be able to take it while suspended? Can I make a complain about the college if I feel like this suspension isn’t necessary.

She should not be penalised in terms of not being allowed to take exams so it is still possible to ask them to allow her to do that. If you believe they have acted entirely unprofessionally or unfairly, you may indeed raise a complaint if needed - initially you would need to pursue it through their own internal complaints process.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do suspensions go on her record?

Potentially yes, but it depends on how long the information is kept by them and also if they actually provide it to a third party in the future, such as if she moves colleges. But it is not something that s there forever

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do suspensions always end in exclusions? Or is there a chance she can come back?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You there?

They certainly don't all end up being excluded, but you casn't generalise in that way - it depends entirely on the circumstances

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you . That’s all.

All the best