12826847

The council have sent me a bill for £9000 to repay money

Customer Question

The council have sent me a bill for £9000 to repay money they say I have misspent from my 3 disabled sons direct payments. I maintain that I never signed the care and support plans that related to this period because they never asked me to at that point. In 8 years questioned any of our spending until they obviously felt the need to tighten council belts. I feel I used the money only creatively as I had always done in the past with no problems to meet their eligible needs as set out in the care act 2014. Now they are labelling me unfit to manage this money and say that " given that you have continued to manage these on your son's behalves you have implied your acceptance of the agreements and have therefore been bound by the terms and conditions". My question to you is is this correct. Am I liable with no signature?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: uk Oxfordshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I have made 2 complaints to official council complaints dept which was a waste of time and now it is with the local government ombudsman but there are other issues in these complaints as well.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is such an important one. Knowing if the council actually know the law or not ?!?!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Were you managing the care, even though you hadn't signed anything?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They were paying money into my sons accounts which i was using to pay for carers and some activities because i help them with their much of their lives that they cannot do by themselves. i am just their mother.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i cannot afford to talk to you on the phone as we live on state benifits im afraid
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am not a manager and i am not paid. I am just their mother
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

So you have access to that account and are using it for paying things?