How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6641
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am getting married in the UK at the end of January. My

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am getting married in the UK at the end of January. My spouse is from overseas, from Brasil. I would like to know what steps do i need to take and what documents do we need to obtain.and how long this will take?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in London, and my permanent address is at Archway. I also would like to know if i can change residance in the process
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am not british, i amfrom the EU
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing so far. I only begin now


If you wish to continue living in the UK after you get married, your fiancee should apply for a fiancee visa which will enable her to marry you in the UK within 6 months of the visa being issued, see here for comprehensive guidance on this visa:

I hope this helps. May I help further?

If not, please click on 5 stars.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello thank you for your answer. Could you please tell me what documents does he need to obtain? He was divorced before. I need all the documentation thst he needs to send me here

The application has to be made in his home country.

See below for the information required:

"You’ll need to have information and some evidence ready when you make your application. Include information for you and any dependants applying at the same time.

You’ll need to provide:

  • all your names
  • your date of birth
  • your current passport or other valid travel ID
  • copies of the photo page and any visa or entry stamps in your previous passports
  • a copy of your biometric residence permit, if you have one
  • details of any previous immigration applications you’ve made
  • details of any criminal convictions
  • your national insurance number, if you have one
  • your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you’re applying from outside the UK
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • a certified translation of any document that is not in English or Welsh

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa if you’re applying outside the UK.

You’ll need an email address to make an online application.

You’ll also need to give proof of:

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances - for example a sponsorship form from your family member in the UK.

You’ll be told how to provide your documents when you apply.

Your partner’s details

If you have a partner, you’ll be asked about their:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • nationality
  • passport
  • right to be in the UK, for example they’re a British citizen

You’ll also need to give details of:

  • any people your partner was previously married to, in a civil partnership with or had children with
  • evidence of marriages ending, for example a divorce certificate
  • anyone your partner supports with money, for example their parents

Proof of relationship

If you’re applying as a spouse or partner, you’ll be asked about:

  • your relationship with your partner, for example how you met and how often you see each other
  • how long you’ve lived together - you’ll need to provide proof like council tax bills
  • things you pay for together
  • whether you’re your partner’s carer

Your previous partners

You’ll need to include details of anyone you previously married or had children with. Include evidence of marriages ending, for example a divorce certificate."

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you