How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 572
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My mum has been in a car home for 8 weeks and has vascular

Customer Question

Hi my mum has been in a car home for 8 weeks and has vascular dementia we don't have power of attorney but my brother still thinks he has all rights to sell my mums house without her consent is this correct
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No. The house is still in her name
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in manchester uk
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to make sure he can't take the house from under her as it is to pay for her care home
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That was care home not car
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 11 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm there is no prior agreement?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No just a will
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just typing please
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Unless he has a court order he cannot sell her house. I would recommend that you either:
1) write him a formal letter explaining he cannot sell her house. At the end of the letter you should state that if he tries to sell the house you will take legal action.
2) ask a solicitor in your area to write him on your behalf and tell him he cannot sell the house. You can find a solicitor in your area by using the law society find a solicitor link here: you will be able to search by area and expertise.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.