JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Assistant: How can I help? My bank Santander just blocked my

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My bank Santander just blocked my cards yesterday and they don’t want to give me any explanation
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted the bank and they told me they decided to block my accounts and to wait to be contacted by them. But they don’t want to explain me why they did it.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know in which situation they can do that?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

They usually do this in cases of fraud. And if that happens then a marker is put on your credit record.

You will need to make a formal complaint to the bank - if they uphold your complaint they can remove the marker.

You can make the complaint here: https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/customer-support/how-to-complain

You need to detail why the Cifas marker was unwarranted. If they reject your complaint then ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter) and then you need to escalate the dispute to CIFAS themselves who will do an independent review of the case. The address to write to is :

Cifas
6th Floor, Lynton House
7-12 Tavistock Square
London
WC1H 9LT

That should take no longer than 14 days to complete. If CIFAs agree with the bank, you would have to escalate it to the Financial Omudsman Service (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk)

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

I hope I have answered the question to your satisfaction. If so could you please rate the answer (5 stars on your screen). It won’t cost extra to give the rating and I will be credited for helping you. You can come back here for any follow up questions.

Many thanks,

Jim