How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7630
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have a small business that sell health food and

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a small business that sell health food and supplements.
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I was in the process of manufacturing my own black seed oil capsule. I was after 1 million Vegetarian soft gel capsules. The manufacturer who was going to make the capsules for me is now unable to make them as their vegetarian capsule process production isn't working correctly. They told me that they cant make the capsules the day I was expecting delivery. The problem is that I have paid for the oil and sent it to them, arranged packaging and flown it in from China, had CAD design work on the product etc. It has cost me around £20k. At no point do they tell me they were having production problem and even asked me to get the product to them quickly? I am asking them to cover the cost of the oil and packaging as they requested that I purchased it for production. I would never order the oil unless it was going to be used for capsules. The packaging is also product-specific.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked for payment for the products that I cant use, and they have agreed that they will cover the cost of the packaging that is around £4k. I don't think they are taking me seriously and keep flogging me off. I have looked into other options for the capsule manufacturing but by the time I get this sorted out, the oil will be old. On Friday and I followed up with an email asking for this to be sorted out by Thursday. Yesterday they replied with a time wasting email.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I spoke to my account manager from the manufactures she said they should compensate me as they asked for the goods. I don't think her bosses agree. It is a UK company.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

This is a situation of breach of contract on their part.

I would recommend that you send the company a formal letter before action to demand payment within 14 days and say that if they do not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. See attached template as an example of what to say. Please let me know if you cannot see the letter which I have uploaded. You will need to tailor this letter to your situation.

You may also want to threaten a report to Trading Standards given their stance (who can be contacted on 03454 040506).

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

Claims between £10,000 and £25,000 are subject to fixed costs only so if you lose then the risk is minimal. Further, the money claim website allows you to sue for an amount up to £100,000.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of the money claim fees are listed here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you win then once you have the CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

There are other enforcement methods which I can help with, including bank account freeze, charging order on their property (and then apply to force a sale), apply to wind up their company, apply to summons them to court for questioning, all of which can ensure you are actually repaid the money.

You may find they just pay you after receiving the letter before action – hopefully they will want to avoid litigation.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


I hope I have answered the question to your satisfaction. If so could you please rate the answer (5 stars on your screen). It won’t cost extra to give the rating and I will be credited for helping you. You can come back here for any follow up questions.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you