How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15238
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I spoke the other day with yourself. Advice was great, all

This answer was rated:

I spoke the other day with yourself. Advice was great, all rent money is in a savings account. I am worried that they may come at me with a section 8 notice for rent arrears as that's what they've told the council as they have proposed to issue a notice of improvement but failed to inform me about my deposit, maintinance and the process. I feel that's why its changed hands so much. All the money is in a savings account as with all the uncertainity and different landlord I haven't known who's due the money as they evidently had no intention of fixing the disrepair. I'm going to attend the court hearing as advised. Do you have any suggestions on how to defend myself? Could I prepare a written statement to explain recent events?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. Yes okay to wait. I understand it is a confusing one. Whilst I've not been threatened with any action so far. I would just like to be prepared in any event as so far the situation has not gone the way I expected. Thank you

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Jamie and thank you. Just to give a little more to go on. My landlord went bankrupt and I've had 4 landlords since. I'm very confused. I just want to protect myself. The hearing isn't against me however everyone has left me to deal with the disrepair and all the changes of landlords by myself so I've not known who to pay or where I stand as a tenant. Council are only going to get involved once I have an eviction date
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi yes. I've been told to go to court to hear the outcome and to explain what's happened. Can I do this in writing? It's all getting ridiculous now with the amount of landlords and lack or responsibility. Would I have the possibility to claim damages? My mental health has taken a real hit because of the uncertainity and lack of response despite my every effort to communicate
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As in my partner had to take time away from work to go through an inspection and the person didn't turn up till the following day so that was lost money. As said my anxiety has taken a sons health due to the mould. Hes been in hospital twice for croup in summer. If not it's okay but if it does come down to s8 do I have rights to counter claim. I'll pay everything owing before this but I wish they would have evicted me when they knew they couldn't do repairs back in July so I could have possibly got a little help from the housing. But I'm being dragged through it

Ok, but I dont understand what you want to ask me>

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been advised to go to court my a [email protected] experrt to witness the proceedings against my landlord and explain why the rent has been kept to one side (landlords changed frequently) can I put a statement in writing if required or how will I have to explain that? Additionally. The confusion it has caused has caused my mental issues to worsen, my partner to lose money from work dealing with it, if it comes down to proceedings with myself. I will be happy to pay everything, I always have been. I've been unsure of who the right recipient is. Do I have the right to counter claim in this event?

Yes, you can put a statement. You should do that.

Yes, you can counterclaim, but you may be a little late to do that if proceedings are underway.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay well I've been sent a letter to say that the landlord is being taken to court for repossession. The hearing date is 18th november. That is the only letter regarding possession I have been sent so far is this too late?

No, you can do it now and should do.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yes it does. 5 stars and I'll get it done. Thank you

Thanks, if you can click the button. Thanks

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15238
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you