How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1141
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I'm trying to get some advice about dealing with my landlord

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to get some advice about dealing with my landlord but I don't have a lot of funds.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Armley Leeds
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a new contract from thhe landlord. He's raising the rent by 6% and ending my tenancy in 6 months. He never registered this property leaving me with 3 years worth of council tax to pay. He's renting another flat in his property that hasn't been registered so he's breaking the law. He bullies me and is harassing. In short I'd like to know if he can raise the rent so much, ddo I have grounds to argue about the increase if he's ending my tenancy, can I report him and also, is the new contract he has given me sound.
Hi, can I confirm have you signed the contract?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I don't have the £44 to spare
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't signed the contract as I think it's fair that he wants to raise the rent by 6% in one go and wants to end the contract as well. I pay 440 now for a 1 bedroom flat and he's now raising that to 470
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there
Hi, thank you for your message. Your tenancy agreement should include how and when a rent increase will be reviewed. Your landlord must give you a minimum of one month’s notice (if you pay rent weekly or monthly). If you have a yearly tenancy, they must give you 6 months’ notice. For any tenancy:

your landlord must get your permission if they want to increase the rent by more than previously agreedthe rent increase must be fair and realistic, ie in line with average local rents. If the landlord is not following any of the requirements mentioned above I would recommend the following:
1) write a letter to your landlord setting out your claim and what you want from him. If he is in breach of any of the requirements above make this known in the letter. At the end of the letter let him know you will take legal action and complain to the council and housing ombudsman if he makes the changes.
2) if the landlord goes ahead with the increase. Write a formal letter to the council setting out your claim. Attach evidence about the landlord's request for a rent increase.
3) make a complaint to the housing ombudsman here: who will review the matter and find a solution.
4) you can contact your local citizens advice bureau who may help you draft the initial letter to your landlord.
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Joy Nicholas and other Law Specialists are ready to help you