12826847

I had an artwork located at Trafalgar Square as part of the

Hi, I had an artwork located at Trafalgar Square as part of the Extinction Rebellion blockade. It was confiscated by the police earlier today. What can I do from a legal point of view please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London!
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none at all,I've only found out and not sure where to start
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think that's it

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Why was it confiscated?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, thanks a lot!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you able to see my question above? I'd like to know what steps I can take from a legal point of view to get my artwork back and in best case, to get it back on the site

I need the information I asked for.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry I couldn't see the question before I refreshed the page! Well, it was confiscated as part of the blockade at Trafalgar Square, which is a public site. It was confiscated among many other possessions, such as tents, food, blankets etc. This action could have two reasons - to destroy the blockade and the protestors' sites (to finish the protest) and to provoke the protestors to slip aside from non-violent action.

Were you arrested?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No I was not, I wasn't present on the site even yet. To clarify, Extinction Rebellion contacted me asking to use my artwork to be displayed at their site. It was not sold to them, I am still the one owning the artwork.

The difficulty with this is that your powers of recovery depend on their powers of seizure. I imagine that this was seized because they're saying it was used in the course of a criminal act and if so they have powers under the police and criminal Evidence Act to seize and retain until the trial is heard.

That is not to say that you cannot negotiate with the officers for the recovery of your property but you do not have the right to demand it.

In the long run they will return it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks a lot! By 'In the long run' you mean after the trial is heard? Do you know what actual steps I can take at the moment - should I call somewhere, go to the police station, or what are my options please?

Yes.

They may return it now. It depends if they want to exhibit it.

If you don't know which officer is dealing with it then the only option is to go to the station.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry, do you mean if Extinction Rebellion wants to exhibit it? I have no idea which officers were involved as I wasn't there and people only saw it being taken away.

No, if the police want to exhibit it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you very much! It helped.

Welcome.