How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16807
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A newspaper has quoted me reporting my fathers death which

This answer was rated:

A newspaper has quoted me reporting my fathers death which is untrue and my father is alive. The story has now been taken offline but it has still been printed in the paper which is sold in our local area. What should I do?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted the paper who took it offline but are unable to do anything about the printed paper as it’s already out. The story stated he had converted to be a Muslim, stated lots of misinformation about his family and stated I had quoted it
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

That is terrible. How much are you seeking to claim?
I dont think you could get more than £25,000 or so.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To be truthful I don’t really know what to do. I was so upset and angry when I seen it. What do you suggest?

I think you deserve compensation. That will show the newspaper. You are the little person being bullied and you need to teach them a lesson.

Clearly, you are mentally very fragile and may need cognitive therapy as a result of this traumatic event.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you