JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

If 'spent money gambling' was used as 1 of the reasons under

Hi, If 'spent money gambling ' was used as 1 of the reasons under unreasonable behavior, could it be used against you if there couldn't be an agreement made for financial settlement?
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: I have received a letter from her solicitor explaining she is petitioning for divorce and listing the reasons.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in county durham
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you this evening.

No, because the grounds for divorce would in this case be based on unreasonable behaviour - which is entirely separate to the financial side of the disagreement.

In financial remedy proceedings there would be questions about where the money went (over say a 12 month period) but the court will ensure a fair split of assets if nothing can be agreed between you and your ex. If for example you took out loans and used that money to gamble, your ex may argue that the loan was not for the benefit of the marriage so they should not share liability for those loans.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

I hope I have answered the question to your satisfaction. If so could you please rate the answer (5 stars on your screen). It won’t cost extra to give the rating and I will be credited for helping you. You can come back here for any follow up questions.

Many thanks,

Jim