12826847

JUST RECEIVED A LETTER FROM A LEGAL COMPANY ABOUT CAR PARK

JUST RECEIVED A LETTER FROM A LEGAL COMPANY ABOUT CAR PARK PARKING ON 28 JULY 2018 SAYING THAT I DID NOT PAY FOR PARKING WITCH I DID . BUT THIS IS THE 1ST LETTER I HAVE RECEIVED ABOUT THIS
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: NO I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: NO NOT YET THEY ARE ASKING FOR £160 WITCH £60 is the charge from the parking £100 is the charge by the legal firm
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: like i said this is the first i have heard of it pluss i did pay for parking at the time and have 5 witnesses with me at the time

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

how can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i have received a letter from bwlegal about a car park charge from 28 july 2018 . witch i did pay for parking at the time, but this is the 1st letter i have received about this , as i have moved address in august 2018

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes , but how do I fight this

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.