F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I signed away my inheritance 19 years ago as my uncle And my

I signed away my inheritance 19 years ago as my uncle And my mother told me he would contest the will l was told l would be looked after unfortunately this was a lie is there any chance of anything
Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: The solicitor who drew up the papers was in Wolverhampton
Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I was never given anything
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the estate is worth alot

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

what do you mean you signed away your inheritance?

what was the inheritance?

who would contest the will?

are you the only child of your parents?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok the estate value was a couple of million it was my mother and uncle who said they would contest the will
My mother sold out on the cheap for money but my uncle still has the company my grandad left to me

After 19 years you could not contest having signed away whatever you were supposed to inherit and if the estate was worth as much as it was, I don’t know why you agreed to do that because it doesn’t make sense even if whoever it was going to contest it, contested it.

If however you were told “relinquish your claim on the estate, we won’t contest it and we will make sure that you get X Y and Z now or over the years and we will leave the business to you when we die”, and you relinquish your claim and they don’t do any of that, then you have a claim to make in what is called Promissory Estoppel.

It is a legal doctrine and not for the fainthearted. You are certainly going to need to get a solicitor to deal with it because it is about as much a DIY job is taking out your own appendix in the dark with the blunt spoon.

When speaking to the solicitor you are asking about bringing a claim in Promissory Estoppel. Not all solicitors deal with it so you may need to make quite a few telephone calls.

There is not normally any legal aid.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES