Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm looking for legal advice about my tenancy agreement in

Hi there, I'm looking for legal advice about my tenancy agreement in England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Jamie. I'm a private tenant, in a fixed term tenancy with my landlord since May 2019. This was done via a lettings agency. I signed the tenancy agreement, but the landlord never did. Subsequently, the landlord has decided they want to sell the house at the end of the agreement, in January 2020. As such they are neglecting their duties - they are refusing to carry out essential maintenance work. I therefore wish to terminate the tenancy agreement now. The landlord is refusing, there is no break clause, and so they are adamant that I stay until January 2020.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do you know if, since the landlord didn't sign the agreement, the notice period terms are legally binding? Do I have to wait until January?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have been an exemplary tenant, all bills paid on time, I have notified the landlord about maintenance work that needs doing, yet the landlord has neglected their duties, as defined in the agreement.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Apologies Jamie, that should be *May 2020 for the agreement end.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
*Do I have to wait until May 2020 to leave? Thank you.

No, if there is no agreement signed, you just be sure if that, you can give a month.

That is because there is no agreement which gives a fixed term. No agreement then just one month is required.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That's brilliant, thank you for clarifying, Jamie. I'll do that rating now.