How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 875
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

My company registered in the UK needs to recover a debt

This answer was rated:

My company registered in the UK needs to recover a debt (£20,000) from a company registered in Jersey. What is the best way to proceed? With a UK solicitor, or a Jersey based solicitor?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m based in London.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have issued two invoices of £10,000. One of which has passed the contracted date for payment. I have emailed a reminder to the UK based company that processes their payments.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so.

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long has this been outstanding for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last date for payment on the first outstanding invoice was 21 September.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Thanks for your patience. I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you


Welcome to JA.

Do you know the jurisdiction that governs the agreement it may say this within the agreed terms and conditions

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The original agreement makes
Reference to TeCSA, Part 1 Scheme for Construction Contracts (England and Wales) and the Contracts Act 1999. But the jurisdiction is not explicit within the contract. Although all disputes are to be forwarded via an office in London by recorded delivery.


The general rule regarding contracts which are silent in jurisdiction is that the jurisdiction will be the place where the contract was formed, that is to say, from where the acceptance of an offer is communicated. Therefore it is likely the best way to proceed is via an English Solicitor if the contract was formed in England, and since it appears the law governing the contract as noted within your last post are English laws plus the fact all disputes should be directed to an office in London

I hope I have answered your query, however if not please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

No problem


Please before you leave JA today please rate the answer given using the stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given and credit me for the assistance provided.

I forgot to mention rating the answer given does not come at any extra costs.

Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 875
Experience: Solicitor at BLM
Anthony Chendo and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you