How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A question regarding copyrighted material. I am preparing a

This answer was rated:

Good morning. A question regarding copyrighted material. I am preparing a series of podcasts in which someone is interviewed about their perfect day. A day made up of a kaleidoscope of previously enjoyed experiences. At one point, and one point only, the question is asked (as they are on their favourite walk), 'What song might be playing in your headphones?' At their answer, I would like to play a short, 20-second clip of the song. I am aware that this would perhaps require the copyright owner's permission, but I am wondering if this short clip might be protected under some more benign interpretation of the law. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: None.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's the only question.

Thanks for your question. I am a UK copyright solicitor. Unfortunately this would not be permissible. There is a section of copyright law which deals with “incidental” inclusion but that relates to unintentional use of a copyright work, such as a sound recording being picked up during a news report or a poster or photo being filmed during a broadcast. In the circumstances you describe you will need to to get permission to use the music clips. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you