31090051

A question regarding copyrighted material. I am preparing a

Good morning. A question regarding copyrighted material. I am preparing a series of podcasts in which someone is interviewed about their perfect day. A day made up of a kaleidoscope of previously enjoyed experiences. At one point, and one point only, the question is asked (as they are on their favourite walk), 'What song might be playing in your headphones?' At their answer, I would like to play a short, 20-second clip of the song. I am aware that this would perhaps require the copyright owner's permission, but I am wondering if this short clip might be protected under some more benign interpretation of the law. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: None.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's the only question.

Thanks for your question. I am a UK copyright solicitor. Unfortunately this would not be permissible. There is a section of copyright law which deals with “incidental” inclusion but that relates to unintentional use of a copyright work, such as a sound recording being picked up during a news report or a poster or photo being filmed during a broadcast. In the circumstances you describe you will need to to get permission to use the music clips. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.