Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have rejected my brand new car after four different

I have rejected my brand new car after four different faults! The garage has now stopped responding to my e mails. They have offered me a different car, smaller than the car I rejected , but at the same price which I declined. The situation has made me ill, and I don’t know what legal steps I should take.

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

When did you buy the car and how long after this did the faults become evident? Also, given the issues you are having, what are you ideally hoping for so that I may advise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I brought the time June and within 10 miles indicator stalk files, then the computer files reset, problems with the stop start system, and then a bolt place on the steering column. I would like my car to be replaced, but they are offering me a smaller version at the same price which I have rejected

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would really like an answer today please

Many thanks for your patience. When a person buys a vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer law, specifically the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which requires goods sold by a business seller to be:

• of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when received
  • as described – they must match any description given at the time of purchase
  • fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for

If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer will have certain legal remedies against the seller. Also note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage.

The rights against the seller are:

1. Reject the vehicle and request a refund - this must be done within 30 days of purchase or delivery.

2. Repair or replacement – this can be done within the initial 30 days or after, if that deadline has passed and a rejection is no longer possible. If a repair is not possible or has failed, the vehicle can still be rejected for a refund, or if the consumer wants to keep it, they can ask for a price reduction. If asking for a refund or a replacement, the current value of the vehicle will be used, taking into account any depreciation in value for usage by the buyer since purchase.

It is also important to note that the law assumes that any issued which develop within the first 6 months of buying the car were present at the time of purchase, unless the seller can prove otherwise. If they develop more than 6 months after purchase, it is for the buyer to prove that they were there at the time of sale.

Based on which option you are wishing to exercise, you must contact the seller and advise them. If they refuse to discharge their legal obligations under consumer laws, you should remind them of these as per the details above. If they still appear reluctant to assist, write to them one final time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to honour your legal rights, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes thank you

All the best