Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am after some advice on disputing an invoice, UK, London,

I am after some advice on disputing an invoice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK, London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Works were carried out by a furniture maker. The original verbal agreement was that the company would provide the works as an investment in my company. The relationship unfortunately broke down and the supplied is now claiming for an extortionate amount of money. Their invoice is not itemised, so I cannot cross reference the things that I paid for and the contractor paid for. There was never a contract, an estimate/quote or a proforma invoice, and the company is still not sending me an itemised breakdown of cost. My business partner paid a few interim invoices for small amounts of money without my consent. The supplier is now threatening to use statutory payment terms
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What is the cost for this advice
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: ok

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

How much is being claimed?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
£120k

Anything in writing at all?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Nothing in writing. No contract or agreement of works or cost. It was all verbal.

That's unfortunate. What was the work done?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it amounts to cladding a wall with wood and building some furniture
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The complexity is that some of the materials I paid for personally, and many of the people who worked on this I paid directly, hence why I need to see an itemised list of whats owed. unfortunately the relationship has broken down to the point where the furniture maker is just trying to fleece us for all he can

And they are refusing?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
They are refusing to send an itemised invoice. What the keep sending is a very lose breakdown, and it is pretty obvious that they are claiming for time and materials never used.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The owner of the company is charging an extortionate day rate for "consultancy", which was never agreed to or even discussed by us

Ok, then you can request the required documents under Part 31 of the Civil Procedure Rules.

This applies to disclosure and indeed it specifically says that it applies to pre-action.

Therefore you can refuse to pay and tell them unless they provide it, you will make an application to Court.

As such a Court would order disclosure.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks thats very helpful. If they do disclose the itemised invoice, what happens then? We would obviously want to dispute the cost. is there a formal process of doing that? If we are disputing, that presumably over-rides statutory payment terms of 30 days

You dispute it and don't pay what you dispute.

They have 2 choices;
1) write off that disputed sum

2) take you to Court

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Very clear. Thanks
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
have a good day!

Pleasure