How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3628
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My ex-wife, who I am legally divorced from since 2008, is

This answer was rated:

My ex-wife, who I am legally divorced from since 2008, is applying to court for asking for over a 100% increase of payments for school fees for my son challenging an agreement we arrived in court back in 2016 at the Central Family Court. My son is 16 and is currently going through six form.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: As part of the proceedings I have been asked to fill a E form, and there is a section where I am asked to put information about properties. Is it necessary that I fill that section? I have heard that those decisions are based only on salaries and savings. My son is 16 and is attending six form. My ex wife is an ex investment banker, I am an artist and university lecturer.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I have been living in the US for the last 13 years, and moved back to the UK last week. She initiated this process as soon as she learned I was moving back.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In the US I had a full time position, although the job I found in the UK is only half time, looking for other work at the moment. It was agreed in 2016, I that I pay my ex-wife $750 dollars monthly. I have been making those payments punctually. She is asking for 9,000pounds of top of that.I have to submit the E form next week, and my urgent question is if I have to definitely fill the section about properties?

Hi thank you for your message, the form E is intended for the court and parties to understand the ability of each party to pay in this case for you to pay additional school fees. As a consequence it is vital you set out truthfully your position including your properties. That said, in any hearing regarding school fees you have indicated a number of points you can raise, namely:

1) your ex wife has had a career as an investment banker, therefore, it is not unfeasible she could return to work and would earn a substantial income were she to do so, especially as your son is now at an age where he does not need significant parental oversight.

2) You have been paying the agreed amount for a number of years and there is no reason that this should increase now

3) You are not in a full time position at the moment and therefore, if anything your earning potential has been reduced not increased.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.


Jeremy Aldermartin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
One final question, could a judge order me to sell a property to fulfill my ex-wife's demands?

Hi thank you for your message, yes that is a possibility but it is very unlikely.