How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6641
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We have a question to ask. Me and my partner are both EU

This answer was rated:

Hello. We have a question to ask. Me and my partner are both EU citizens and we both have settled status,we are in UK for more than 9 years and 3 months ago I gave birth,now we have a baby and we would like to apply for passport. Does my baby qualify for a British Citizenship and is it possible to get a British passport for him? And if yes what are the next steps we would need to do? Thank you.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We have our babies full birth certificate and he was born in UK,Scotland - Aberdeen. I'm Latvian and my partner is Lithuanian. We did filled application for settled status and we were successful.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really.



If you both had permanent residency/settled status at the time or before the baby was born, the baby is a British Citizen by birth and you may go ahead and apply for a British Passport for the baby. The baby is British otherwise than by descent.


See here for the procedure involved for applying for a first child passport:


All the best and good luck. Please click on 5 stars


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We both didn't had settled status before the baby was born only one of us had it. My partner did i didn't,i got my settled status short after the baby was born. Does that changes things? Thank you.

I am assuming you are not married to your partner.


The good news is that any children born after 1 July 2006 acquire British citizenship through their settled father even if he was not married to the mother of the child, subject to proof of paternity e.g. birth certificate naming him as the father of the child.


All the best. Please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok Thank you for your help.