Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a 24 year old son living in my house, who has a

hi there.. I have a 24 year old son living in my house, who has a health condition and can therefore not work. He is claiming benefits but not for any housing, as he lives with me. Can you advise me whether I can claim anything for housing him ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I like in London, in the Uk. I have not talked to a lawyer as I consider it probably a pretty easy question to find an answer to!
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi thank you for your message, are you acting as his carer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am certainly helping in many considerable ways but it is not a condition that requires 24 7 physical care. But I am buying health modalities and supplying full lodging and support.

Hi thank you for your message, I understand, please note I cannot do a call I will however, answer here if that is agreeable.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Well I was offered a phone call and accepted for £44, and now it appears it’s not possible, so I assume I will not be deducted or £44? I am simply wondering what benefits I may be able to claim for having A son with a medical condition which means he cannot work and giving him full lodging as a result.

Hi thank you for your message, the phone call request is sent automatically by the system and not by me. If noone calls you then the call money will be refunded.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok fine. Thanks. I am fine to continue by text..

There are a number of different benefits you might be entitled to claim depending on the exact circumstances:

Carer's allowance - Carer’s Allowance is £66.15 a week in 2019/20. This is if you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. earn £123 a week or less (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension).

Carers Credit - Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit towards your State Pension while you’re not making any contributions because of your caring role.

Universal Credit - you might be able to claim universal credit to help with housing costs. If you’re caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week, you might qualify for the carer element of Universal Credit.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I would not probably qualify as a carer. It is more that I am supplying full lodging. That is where I am questioning whether I can claim anything. Is the only route to qualify as a carer? Carers do not typically supply bedrooms and bathrooms do they

Hi thank you for your message, they can do for example a parent who is a carer of a relative. There are many such examples of family members who have caring responsibilities towards relatives. I have outlined the benefits that to my knowledge are available. You may also be able to get reductions in things like council tax but that is a matter of local policy so you would need to contact your council about that. A further source for information may be an organisation such as carers UK and they can be contacted here: https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us

I understand you may feel that you are not a carer as such but given the accommodation you do provide and the extra support you mentioned previously they may have further information to assist. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok. I understand. Thank you. If I contact my local council - can you give me any guidance on how to approach them? What is the correct terminology or 'search' etc if looking for benefits to support my particular position ?

Hi thank you for your message, if you contact the council you should be able to speak to them and ask for advise on financial help for a carer such as this. They should be familiar with such queries and direct you accordingly. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.