Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have a website in my name but not created by me it's been

I have a website in my name but not created by me it's been around for around 16 years. The creator will not take it down although the police have toned it down. Google did for a while remove the links but now roughly back again now. Has caused me a lot of aggro and loss of earnings over the years. What can I do?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Nr Blackpool
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Everything possible police qc advice search engine only thing is court but on benefits so not affordable
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm why will the creator not take it down?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello joy, I can only say that she /he must rid the world of me. Cheers Colin

www.colbarden.com
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, i can only believe its her /him intention to rid the world of me. Volbsrden.com cheers Colin
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
colinbarden.com

Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend the following:

1) If you know the contact details of the person.Write a formal letter setting out your claim and what you want from the person i.e. for the website to be taken down. Give them 14 days to reply. At the end of the letter state that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action. This is called a letter before claim.

2) Write a letter to Google asking them to remove the site. Explain your situation and why.

2) If you would like to instruct a solicitor to write the letters for you I would recommend that you contact a solicitor using the law society find a solicitor function here : https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you.

3) You can also contact your local citizens advice bureau who may be able to help you draft a letter. Contact your local citizens advice bureau using this link: www.citizensadvice.org.uk

4) You may have a case of defamation against. A statement is defamatory if it is one that when read or heard by an ordinary right thinking member of the public; not avid for gossip causes or is likely to cause serious harm damage to the claimant’s reputation. I would recommend that you find a solicitor in your area to bring the claim forward if you decide to do so. You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you if you wish to pursue this course of action.

I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Moreover, I wanted to add if you claim benefits or have a low income, you may qualify for legal aid to help pay for legal advice or representation.Contact Civil Legal Advice here : https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice to check if you're eligible or use the GOV.UK legal aid checker here: https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid . I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.