31090051

I have mice in my apartment and the pest control today said

I have mice in my apartment and the pest control today said that we will not get rid of them because even if they die because of the poison, the apartment is built in such a poor and has so many holes that they will just keep coming back. The company we rented it from said that we have to pay 750 each to leave(it is me and my partner) because we have a 2 years contract. Is there something we can do about it? It doesn’t seem right to pay so much when then reason why we want to leave is because they will not repair the house and sort the holes out so the mice won’t come again
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: uk london
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: 2 years it says, we do have a break clause but does it still apply in these circumstances? To me it seems as if this is an issue because all the pest control companies that came told them that the only way to sort it out is by filling the holes and they still ask them to put traps which are obviously not helping
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that is it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thanks for your question. The property is not up to the repairing standard if vermin is managing to enter the property. So the landlord is in breach of the lease both by letting the property in that condition and then refusing to do anything about it. For that reason they can’t impose the terms of the lease on you and you can leave without penalty and insist they give you the deposit back. In other words if someone breaks a contract they can’t enforce its terms. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
So, they have done something by calling pest control, but pest control says the peoblem will not stop until the holes get filled in
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
And it is true because we ve had this problem for a year
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
And it keeps coming and going

So they know what has to be done and they haven’t done it. That if anything makes it worse because they have taken advice and have a solution but haven’t implemented it.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What can we do? Will they just accept that they breached the contract or what is your advice

Give them 7 days notice to confirm that they have instructed the necessary works. If they don’t respond you write holding them in breach of contract and say you are vacating and will claim damages for your losses, eg, if you couldn’t get similar nature and size accommodation at the same rent you would claim the different for the remaining term.