12826847

Parked on for 50 years free land not council to drop item at

Hi, parked on for 50 years free land not council to drop item at chaity shop for 10 mins 1-12-18. following week had private co parking ticket for £100. There was no warning things had changed on just half of this land. room for 5 cars. Now there are 2 v small wall signs easy to miss. had many letters after the money and now have a form from c c business centre for £244.There is no warning that half the land was controlled. Do i now have to pay? Tony. 76 yrs
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No just ignored it since last dec.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Behind a savers shop.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Feel there should have been warning at the small entrance of charges. Only half the land seems now covered by the small signs.Not at all clear.Seems to have been taken over without warning.Very unfair. T

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, Uk car park management ltd
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not keen to add further to my possible costs

This is a private land fine. There is a good of nonsense on the internet about private land fines. The truth is that they always did have a perfectly valid claim in breach of contract against those who do not pay or park at variance with their terms and conditions. The issue was that it was not very cost effective for them to sue. It still is not.

They used to sue almost nobody but they are becoming more aggressive now largely because they have lost control of the industry and can only regain it by suing those who don't pay. The chances that they will sue remain very low though so the risk is not great.

If they do sue, you can plead your case and may well win. If you don't win then you will only be liable for the sum of the fine plus about £25 in court costs and £55 in fixed solicitors costs. If you pay it off within 28 days of judgment then it will not show on your credit file.

You do have the option of putting them to proof on the adequacy of signs though. That may well succeed.