How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 882
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

Iam a building contractor. I carried out a lot of work for a

This answer was rated:

Hi ,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: iam a building contractor. I carried out a lot of work for a man who now says he hasn’t got the money to pay me. I provided him with a quotation that he has signed. He has a costing of the extras he ordered that he has signed and he has signed a letter to say hE is happy with all the work we have done to date. Can I put a legal charge on his property. I know he has a mortgage of £120,000. The house has been valued at around £200,000. What can I do quickly as I know he wants to sell the house and move back to France. Regards ***** *****
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I’ve been to a solicitor that has messed the whole thing up and taken three months to do that. They have apologised and offered my money back! Not sure which way to turn now!
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Bolton; Grt Manchester
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really

Hi there,

Thank you for your message. I will be assisting you.

You will need to obtain a CCJ and then apply for a Charging Order against the debtors property which is what I believe you are referring to.

Would you like me to walk you though how to go about issuing proceedings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has agreed for me to put a charging order on his property. Do I still need a CCJ.

I see. In that case, no you will not require a CCJ. However, if there is an existing Charge, it is likely that you will require the consent of the Lender before being able to register a Charge. There will most likely be a restriction on the property stating this.

I would suggest you check this first.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thankyou I will look into that and come back to you.

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a positive rating at the top of your screen. That is how us Experts are credited for our time. The chat will not close and will be open to any further posting should you wish.

All the best.


LegalNinja and other Law Specialists are ready to help you