How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6641
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I hope sone one can help my partner is a uk citizen bit he

This answer was rated:

Hi i hope sone one can help my partner is a uk citizen bit he got married in nevada america in 2002 and now wants a divorce but we searched for the certificate but the marriage was never recognised in england only in nevada so how does he go about getting a divorce, any advise would be much appreciated.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No we are not sure if he has to apply for a divorce if hes marriage is not recognised in england.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: He lives in london
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all thank you



Please explain why his marriage is not recognised in England? If it was lawfully entered into Nevada, it would be valid in the UK.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Im not sure we tried to find the marriage certificate online but they replied by telling us they did not have no record here and to contact the american embassy when we contacted them they told us to look on the site of the country he married in so i looked it up and i found the marriage certificate straight away but can only find it in nevada not england

A marriage entered into lawfully in the USA is valid in the UK.


A certified copy of the certificate may be ordered from here:


And such a certified copy may be used to file for divorce in England.


All the best. Please click on 5 stars to leave a positive rating.



UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you