How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23096
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My Husband And Myself Adopted a son 25 years ago who now has

This answer was rated:

My Husband And Myself Adopted a son 25 years ago who now has a Son himself his Girlfriend refuses to Let Me See the Child Telling me I’m not his Grandmother Can you give me some Advice on this Matter as an Adoptive ParentYours RespectfulMrs Audrey Williams

I don’t know why your son cannot allow this because he is perfectly able to do so if he is named on the birth certificate because then he has parental responsibility.

Up until early last year, any application by you, a grandparent, to the court for child contact would have failed unless there was an existing strong bond between you such as of the child have lived with you for a long period of time or already had regular and consistent contact.

However matters have been to the court and it is now been granted and there is a proposal to change the Children’s Act in line.

Tell her that unless you get contact with the child, then you will be taking her to court for a child arrangement order and the court will force the contact.

The fact that you may not be your sons natural parent is irrelevant. As far as the law is concerned you are a parent you are the child’s grandparent.

Being blunt, the mother hasn’t got a clue what she’s talking about.

If you could please rate my service five stars (even if it’s not the answer you wanted) that would be really helpful. If you have any further questions you want to ask on this subject, I am happy to deal with those for you.

Stuart J and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Stuart I’m going to the Court tomorrow do I Make Application for a Child Arrangement Order


Thank you for the positive rating.

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I have been off-line all day.


Here are the government pages on applying for a Child Arrangement order


It can deal with Contact, who sees the child and when:

Residence, who the child lives with.


Specific Issues such as allowing the child to go on holiday or live abroad or


Prohibited Steps preventing something happening such as the parent taking the child away to live elsewhere.


However you can’t just rush off to court, it’s a requirement that you have to have tried mediation even if it doesn’t work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mediation didn’t work for my son should I Try it again