Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My son needs a solicitor to help him sign transfer forms to

My son needs a solicitor to help him sign transfer forms to take his name off a joint mortgage
JA: What steps has your son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No he had a house with his girlfriend in joint names and she’s buying the house off him. Her solicitors have sent him the form to sign transferring the mortgage into her name only and it states he needs a solicitor to do his part
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does your son live in?
Customer: He doesn’t need a court, he has to complete a TR1 and a ID1 form for identity and transfer of whole registered titles
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It says he needs a conveyancer, chartered legal rep, land registry officer or like wise to verify his identity etc

Thank you for the question. This is not something that we can do for him I’m afraid because it has to be done face-to-face. Some solicitors will do it for 5 pounds and others will want £25 or even more.

Nonetheless, any solicitor should do it because it’s simply a case of looking at the photograph and confirming that it is a true likeness. They don’t have to verify the identity, just the true likeness.

If he is near to a land registry office, he can just go into the land registry office and they will do it for free.

He cannot be compelled to use a solicitor to submit the documentation.

The transfer deed TR1 can be witnessed by anyone but preferably not relative.

If you could please rate my service five stars (even if it’s not the answer you wanted) that would be really helpful. If you have any further questions you want to ask on this subject, I am happy to deal with those for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Stuart thank you for your help and we can take it from here. He works in the centre of Manchester and I think we have a registry office there. I can ask my friend who is a pharmacist to sign the TR1 form maybe?