How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 81706
Experience:  Over 15 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had the documentation regarding a speeding notice sent to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I had the documentation regarding a speeding notice sent to my old address and I just found out. My new address was actually stated on the first letter I sent to the police confirming my identity and driving license. The case now will be taken to the magistrate. What should I do?
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Newquay Cornwall
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, one thing: the lady at the police on the phone said the documentation was sent on the address registered at the DVLA, but that address was never notified to the DVLA. Thank you

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What was your speed and what was the limit?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30mph and I was doing 38mph
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to confirm my driving license because it is an European driving license which does not state any address on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the lady on the phone at the police whom I called before took notice of my new address and she said they will send to my current address the new paperwork for the magistrate: there apparently I can state the circumstances by which I did not reply within the terms to apply for the speeding course or to pay the penalty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am concerned this might still affect my credit score and my settled status application which is currently under revision

It won't affect your credit score or settlement application. This is just a non recordable speeding offence.

I'm not sure why they have summonsed you. I suppose they are saying they sent a conditional fixed penalty out and didn't get a response.

But you would only get 3 points and a fine at court anyway.

You can mitigate on the basis that you didn't receive the fixed penalty offer. some magistrates will give you 3 points, a fine of £85 and £15 victim surcharge so you would be dealt with as though you had the fixed penalty anyway. but not all.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The lady on the phone at the police office said I do not have to show up in court but with the upcoming paperwork I can write my circumstances to the magistrate. When settled down, do you know if this will be likely to affect my car insurance price?

Yes, you can. There is space to mitigate on the forms.

you will have to declare it to your next insurers but one instance of speeding doesn't usually increase the premium.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thank you Jo. That'll be it for now

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you