Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have left my coats to the dry cleaner and lost the

I have left my coats to the dry cleaner and lost the ticket%. When I went to pick them up they did not appear in the system. I m su
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I m in london. m sure they are there as I remember having the ticket. Now the dry cleaner told they look for them but did not find them. Not sure they looked to be honest. Worth of the costs around 1000 pound. I even brought the picture of the coats. What can I do.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: brought them the pictures. Going there every few days.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I have to pay for this service?

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How to get my coats back. Can I ask the dry cleaner to go to check the coats personally even if they do not want to?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are my right?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the service now terminated?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unless I pay 44 pound?

Do you mean if they should allow you to personally check the coats?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes to go at the back and check for my self

Ok thanks. You have a legal expectation for them to look after your coat whilst it is in their possession. The issue is firstly being able to prove that you left it with them – without a ticket or any other proof, that may not be easy. Maybe if you paid by card you can show a statement that you used their services and that suggests it is there but without it then it may be your word against theirs.

You can ask them to allow you to check the coats but they are not legally obliged to do so – it is their property and they decide who they allow there to do this.

However, you can tell them that tis is the easiest way to try and determine if they have it and if they do not allow you to do so, you may have no choice but to make a claim for compensation against them.

If you wanted to go that far you can eventually do so online via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yea. I cannot do much really I can only say I will give them very bad reviews with all the neighbours.

Yes that is an option but you can still claim if needed – it is just the Small Claims Court so not high risk

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes thank you.

All the best

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks

no worries