Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I was charged with common assault and was due to be in court

I was charged with common assault and was due to be in court today.My soliciters has been informed the charge has been dropped, along with bail conditions and that I now do not need to attend court and continue with my life as normal.Does this mean I have a criminal record? This is the only incident with the police I have ever had.If I applied for a job am I obliged to tell them about this dropped charge?Will this show up on a dbs check and or affect my ability to get security clearance?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

what is the job you are applying for?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
None in particular. I would just want to know if I now have a criminal record even though the charge was dropped and if it will affect any me when applying for jobs.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes please.

I should clarify I was arrested and realised on ore charge bail

I was then charged for common assault upon reporting bail to the police station

Finally a few days before my scheduled court date I had been informed the charge/case had been dropped.

Thank you for the information, can you tell me what you question is specifically please. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Does the result of the charge/case being dropped based on the background I have described mean I now have a criminal record

Will anything flag on a dbs check

Will I be obliged to inform prospective employers of this incident when applying for jobs

Will this affect my ability to gain a job with security clearance

Simply no, anyone can be accused of a criminal act however unless you are found guilty of that act then it will not show on your criminal record. There are different level of DBS checks however, this comes into effect when you receive a not guilty verdict but this was not the case for you as the charges were dropped therefore it will not show on you DBS check. It would be unfair to prejudice you for being accused of something that there wasn't even enough evidence to bring a case. so no, this will not show up on you DBS. The only potential issue you may will be if you were given caution instead of a charge, that may possibly show up if an advanced DBS check was done but his does not seem to be the case.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Ross Miller,
Experience: Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions