F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My husband was called for jury service last June for August.

My husband was called for jury service last June for August. The day after the summons we sole our house and within 10 days had an offer accepted on a property. At the same time he was referred to a specialist for an acute episode of prostatitis. He was able to defer his jury service by claiming his acute condition would be intolerable, long sittings etc. we moved into the new property in a different county in UK on September 13 th and he is very worried about his duty to be fulfilled in 12 months from .august 2019 by August 2020. Is it possible to be completely exempt or transfer to a jury service locally ?
JA: Where is your husband? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are now in Dorset and we’re in .surrey, he has done two periods of jury service whilst resident there.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: He spoke with the summons officer in July having accepted the call, but I persuaded him to seek exemption as he was so uncomfortable with his condition . We moved a month ago, he is very worried about the legal implications now. We have not had further contact with the courts in surrey
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is very stressed at the moment, the house we have bought has proved very problematic in terms of its construction, so he is very anxious manifests in physical symptoms of anxiety. He has had investigations now into the prostatitis, which thankfully is not a long term problem and will likely be managed conservatively. BUT he is very depressed

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore maybe delayed in replying.

how many time has he done jury service?

has he been to doctors to ask for letter excusing him?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He has done two terms of jury service and the last one was more than two years ago. He went to the GP at the time of his problem and the GP advised contact with the summons officer to explain, did not need a letter the summons officer said he could be deferred. Our sale accelerated and because he had put off the duty to serve, we got on with the move. Now it is troubling him and adding to his already unstable mental health.

are you asking if he can be excused from any jury service at any time?

has the doctor written to the court?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not to be exempt at any time, but transfer to this county? We have only just registered with new doctors practice. He is putting off docs appt for his current health issues whic is not helping. I am ‘nagging’ to get him help. This is another problem he is not coping with - fear of legal consequences. If a GP’s letter would help his case then obviously this has to be done. He has until the summer to get on top of this. The sooner he resolves the issue, that will help to lift this depression. So would it be best to seek medical support?

He needs to write to the Jury Central Summing Bureau

Jury Central Summoning Bureau
Phoenix House
Rushton Avenue
Bradford
BD3 7BH

Along with a letter from his doctor explaining that he still has this problem which is ongoing and it would be intolerable for him to continue to sit for any period of time as he would have to continually be in and out of the court.

He needs to also explain that notwithstanding the above, you have now moved counties and travelling would be impractical.

That really is the only waiter deal with it, to hit it head on.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very helpful. Now I need to present this to him and hope he is not angry with me for meddling.

I think it would be somewhat unfair of him to accuse you of meddling when all you are doing of course is trying to help. Show him the answer if it helps.

There really is no need for him to be worrying about this.

I am glad to help. Please don’t forget to use the rating service because it means that can continue to provide affordable and timely legal advice to people with similar problems.

Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

You may need to login again to use the rating service.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for responses today has put my mind at rest and feel there is a solution or even a positive step to take to deal with this problem.

I am glad to help. It does feel better to have done something about it and the ball is now in their court. Kind regards