Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been made redundant and have a letter from my

Hello. I have been made redundant and have a letter from my employer dated 30/09/2019 that states I have been made redundant.
Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: It’s a very small company - I have discussed it with my manager. My question is about ‘notice period’. I have been at the company 8 whole years
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Full time. I do not belong to a union.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The letter of notice of redundancy says “user your contract of employment you are entitled to 1 months notice period” as I have been there 8 years shouldn’t my notice period be 8 weeks?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have read this on Citizens advice.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Contractual notice

Your contract might say what notice period you’re entitled to. If it does, this is called ‘contractual notice’.

Contractual notice can be longer or the same as statutory notice. It can’t be shorter - you should always get at least your statutory notice.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/redundancy/redundancy-notice-period/

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello Ben

So what does your actual contract say regarding notice?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Here is the relevant section

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst your contract may only state that you are entitled to a month’s notice on termination, that cannot be less than your minimum statutory entitlement by law. In your case, you are correct that it should be as a minimum 8 weeks because you have been there for 8 years. The employer cannot give you less than that, no matter what the contract says. You are due your statutory notice as a minimum, and they can then give you longer than that if they wanted to, but not less.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks Ben this is perfect. Thanks for the conformation.

All the best