JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

It's a question regarding Npower and how far back in time

Hi there. It's a question regarding Npower and how far back in time they can bill someone.
Assistant: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In this case the address concerned is in Birmingham.
Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: The situation is that for approximately 14 years the meter readings were all estimated and the meter was never physically read, l contacted Npower and gave them an updated reading to which they told me how much that l owe them. I will be communicating with then later this week to resolve payment. Oh l forgot to say l am registered disabled and l am registered disabled with Npower.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything at the moment. But thank you anyway.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

By law, they have to read the meter once every two years and in terms of back-billing, they can only legally go back 12 months. This link confirms your rights :

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-guide-your-rights

If they try to maintain their stance, make a complaint to them here:

https://www.npower.com/help-and-support/contact-us/complaints

And if this does not resolve the matter, escalate to the energy ombudsman here:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for your speedy response, l forgot to say that l never provided Npower with a meter reading during the 14 years due to the inaccessibility of the meter.
Me being disabled and the meter being under the stairs.
Many thanks.

Thanks, they still need to do a reading once every 2 years though. I would dispute their claim in any event.

Have a good day

Jim

Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
I have had another phone call today with Npower and made a complaint. They state that the bill is still owed as they say that they had written to me to obtain a meter reading. I have escalated the complaint to the deadlock dept and l now have to wait for a response by letter. If still no joy they say l will have to get in touch with the ombudsman for there ruling.
Have you any thoughts?.
Many thanks.
Hi, yes that’s fine and you will need to wait for the deadlock letter before involving the Ombudsman. There’s nothing else to do at this point. I hope this helps?