How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1126
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am a full time mature student with children. I am being

This answer was rated:

I am a full time mature student with children. I am being financially discriminated by the universal credit system as a large part of my student loan is being used as unearned income. If I had earnt that money the government would allow me to keep 33p of every pound I earn as a student they are taking the full pound. Last year ( my first year at university) I recurved housing benefit and tax credits which meant I could afford to study. This year I am now £400 less a month due to a move to universal credit as the system discriminates students
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northamptonshire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have fought tirelessly with the job centre only to be told I will receive no more and the calculations are correct. I have had a meeting with university, my local council and I have another citizens advice meeting on Tuesday. I am on the verge of losing my house. I had an accident Easter weekend which left me in a wheelchair for 3 months, I applied for universal credit to ask for additional support over this period. Their 6 week response time meant arrears on my rent and no household income other than child benefit into our house for 2 months.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Family court ?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: You are my first
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i will not be able to continue my degree unless I am given extra support. I am angry that students are being discriminated against especially as I have worked my whole life

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,


please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.


Thank you.


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely if there is any case

Thank you for waiting I can give you some advice here. When you change over to UC they just do an automated move. What you really need to do is have a proper assessment of what you are are not entitled to. You may entitled to different benefits which you are not aware off due to the automated transition, this has happened a lot.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards



Ross Miller and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you