How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11726
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

What can I do if a judge gave me an unfair trial on a small

This answer was rated:

what can I do if a judge gave me an unfair trial on a small case county court and in top of that refuses me to appeal?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing, the court hearing was 2 days ago
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Essentially what you need to do is to make an application to the High Court seeking leave to appeal as part of the initial process for taking an appeal in the High Court. This Leave to Appeal stage is the first stage in taking an appeal into the High Court. As part of this Leave to Appeal application process, you should annex a copy of the appeal you intend to take, as this strengthens your grounds for appeal which you will set out in your Leave to Appeal application. The bottom line is that a refusal of leave to appeal by a County Court judge does not mean the end of your chances. What you do is enter the case in the High Court list by seeking Leave to Appeal. This ensures a different judge, in the High Court, examines the case and most likely, takes a different view of the matters and issues raised in the case.

2. You can do this process yourself or your can get a solicitor to help you. Obviously, it is much easier if you get a solicitor to assist you as they will have professional experience in dealing with cases in the courts. Be aware that there is a different set of rules - the Civil Procedure Rules - which govern litigation in the High Court, so you will need to consult these Civil Procedures Rules when you are seeking the procedure for taking the Leave to Appeal application in the High Court. These Rules lay down different procedures to what are in the County Court Rules, which you might be familiar with. So, be sure to use the correct Rules when making your High Court application.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your answer Sir, The thing I want to mention here is not only the unfair trail that I've been giving in the court, but it's also the sense of discrimination I felt as the judge and the 2 defendants were from the same origin and one of them is a lawyer, I don't only want my case to be looked at again but I really want to public my bad experience with this particular judge.

4. You can publicise your case as part of the appeals process. This you can do by getting a reporter to attend at the hearing and publish articles in the local newspaper where you live. As all court proceedings are public, a true copy of a report from a court proceedings can be published in a local newspaper where you live thereby giving you the publicity for your case to highlight the injustice which has been done.

5. Thank you for using the website. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to assist further. Please Rate the answer.

Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you