Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

As a shareholder, I have the voting rights and I get the

As a shareholder, I have the voting rights and I get the dividend according to % I own

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Yes, this is correct. Essentially where a dividend is being paid, your proportion of the overall dividend will depend upon the percentage of the shares you own. So, for example, if you have 20% of the shares, then you will receive 20% of the overall dividend from the company. Additionally, you will have voting rights in proportion to the shares you own. However, if there are different classes of shares, each may have different voting rights. So, check the share register to see there is only one category of shares as this means there is only one group of shares which can be voted. Some companies, like Google, for instance, have different classes of shares, to which different voting rights attach.

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.