31090051

Can the local newspaper print any local court case that has

Can the local newspaper print any local court case that has been heard [ apart from closed cases]. This has recently taken place in Scotland and involves personal information that the accused doesn't want made public. The accused has plead not guilty.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. The press can report court proceedings except closed cases and where the court makes an order preventing reporting for reasons such as children being involved, national security etc. However apart from that the press can report any information disclosed in open court whether or not the accused has a preference for that information not to be disclosed. I hope that answers your question. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.