UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I believe I was named in my grandparents original will to

Hi, I believe I was named in my grandparents original will to receive half the house they left behind, this was sold by my father many months ago and I've asked him and he hasn't given me a straight answer, he was the executor of the will, my grandparents both did fall ill with dementia towards the end of their lives so it's possible I think he could have changed the will, what can I do to find answers without causing a family feud, thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I called the solicitors but they wouldn't give me any information
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all i think

You may carry out a Probate Search to see if you can get a copy of the Will and see what it says: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

After you get a copy of the Will, you would be able to establish whether or not you were a beneficiary.

If you were, you may ask your father as executor what is the status of your share of the estate. If you are not named as a beneficiary, you may contest the Will under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 if you were financially dependant on your grandparents.

May I help further? If not, please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks, this is a great start, please could also ask, if I know I was named on a prior will before he became executor and power of attorney prior to their dementia, did he have the right to change that will & is there a way of seeing a copy of the prior will?

He would not have the mental capacity to change the Will if he had dementia, so you may contest the later Will on the basis that he lacked mental capacity to make a new Will or to change the prior Will.

You would need to try and get a copy of the prior Will I am afraid as if was it was not submitted for Probate, there would be no record of it in a Public Registry.

All the best. Please leave a positive rating. Thank you