12826847

The police have asked me to attend a volunteer interview

The police have asked me to attend a volunteer interview under caution tonight but I'm unable to attend what do I do?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Left voicemail on officers phone and been in local police station to see if they could help.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The incident may be getting dropped as well.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Which police station?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Barnsley south Yorkshire
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
But I have been told the police station cant do anything

You can always try to renegotiate with the officer.

They will probably agree. I'm surprised they want to do interviews on a Saturday evening when they need cell space for other things.

But the reality is that if they refuse and you dont' attend then you face the risk they will just come and arrest you at another time.

To obviate that you could surrender on Monday but then the officer might not be available.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I don't understand when the incident will not be going to CPS the officer said when they phoned me last night
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
And the incident may only be getting document as the officer said there is insufficient evidence as the incident took place 3 months ago.

Yes, it might be. It might not.

But they still have powers of arrest.

If you don't surrender they will come and arrest you.

Or possibly summons.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
If I go can they arrest me there and then? After I've done my interview

They won't do that. Unless you have horrendous history. It is not really labour efficient for them to do that.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
So unless I admit to something or back up the other statement given then I wont be arrested?

You shouldn't be.

Obviously sometimes officers will do things that are not common or not lawful sometimes. But if all is normal you shouldn't be.

Apart from anything else, I don't think they would want their cell space clogged up until Monday unless this were the only way they could get you in and the offence was very serious.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
When questioning me if I say no comment then what happens?

Then inferences can be drawn but it is still often the right thing to do.

Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What does that mean exactly

That they can draw inferences - the inference basically means invite the jury to wonder if you made it all up when you offer a subsequent defence.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I'm not knowledgeable about criminal offences
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Its an allegation against me

Yes.

But normally you can comment upon allegations.