How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 943
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My granddaughter lives in a flat with her son aged two and

This answer was rated:

my granddaughter lives in a flat with her son aged two and has done for over two years along with her partner who has now left her . the flat is owned by her partners mother and she agreed they live there rent free . The flat has become very unsafe to live in and now that the partner has moved out she will not make the flat safe to live in . my question is has my granddaughter got any rights regarding this matter and can she get any help
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: no not as yet other than asking the owner to make the flat safe
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: lancing in west sussex
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm is she looking to move out?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
at some point yes
Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend the following:
1) write the mother a formal letter setting out her claim and what she wants from her.
2) She can make a complaint to the local council who will investigate the matter and find a solution. They may also order the landlord to make repairs. She can find her local council here:
3) make a complaint to the housing ombudsman who will try to make things right between the parties. She can find out more about how to complain here:
4) if she plans to move her local council may be able to help her find accomodation. She should contact her local council by using the link provided above under point 2.
5)she can use one of the following benefits calculators to determine what benefits she can get here if she needs financial help:
1) (Turn2us)
2) (Entitledto)
3) (Policy in practice)
I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer. There will be a box to do so. And give me a five star rating for helping you today (top right corner of your screen), and just answer will credit me for helping you today.
Joy Nicholas and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you